• Welcome to the Chevrolet and Daewoo Forums
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam/Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner & Idler
Hey all.

This is my first real post so hi to you all.
I'm an impatient sod and want answers straight away, hence never posting.
False economy really because the job never gets done!

Anyway...

I bought a Daewoo Lanos 1.4 SE '98 in December 2008 with 34,500 miles on clock for £450, so i'm on to a winner already!

I've done bits and bobs already including:

Oil & filter
Plugs & leads
Cleaned 02 (lambda sensor)
Cleaned IAC valve
New air filter
New fuel filter
Eco-tek engine de-coke (made a difference but works better on high mileage cars)
Couple of bottles of fuel cleaner
and wiper blades

Nothing major i know but the car really drives well and the engine is quiet on the motorway.
Only problem is that it is a bit hesitant upon acceleration but i can live with that.

Now, on to my question for Nelse, Bodie, Daewootech, Lube-O-Rific and all the other clever dicks:

I'm planning on changing my cambelt soon but would like to know whether i should also replace the water pump, tensioner and idler too?
I know its worthwhile doing so with a belt change but my car will have only covered about 39k when i get round to the replacement.

I'll visually inspect the condition of the pump and idler but would rather not replace if i didn't have too.
What is the recommended replacement interval for a waterpump btw people?

I look forward to your thoughts!

Hope you fiind this answer quick enough. "False economy really because the job never gets done!" Surrender but hey I am from the USA, what ever dude...

I have been called a dick before, but never a clever one, so I hope I quallify. I most defenatly would change everything. Just not worth the risk. Save mabey $75 (belt vs. kit). Very little difference in actual labor (few bolts), Not to mention the additional parts are less then 15% ($75 vs. $650) of what it cost to :brown n sticky: and Eusa_wall (disclaimer, I have no idea what this would equate to in UK funds)

Just a personal opinion - but there shouldn't be any difference in "belts" that go 100,00 miles, I suspect the failure rate on these vehicles is likely due to something else. Design or Associated Parts. I can't do much about design but I sure can change Associated Parts and reduce the risk.

no recomended time for water pump replacement its up to you
http://www.logixautocentre.co.uk
Like us on facebook/logix auto centre.

waterpump blades/fins breakdown eventually due to what they have to do.
Consider what they are dealing with water n heat. Water loves metal metal dont love water.
As Nelse said up to you but it would be silly not to do it if your working in that area already.
BODIE

[Image: signnh.gif]

I dont like to ban people, but I willNono

i know i have a bad attitude to vehicle service sometimes.
if i don't know how something is done (and can't find out), i leave it!
i hate waiting to do a job, i want it done there and then!

And you most certainly sound like a clever dick EHart6.

The labour wouldn't be an issue but i don't like the idea of fixing something that's not broke.
i'd always put a new belt on if i done a head gasket but my car's only done 38k(reached today btw) and im sure whether i need to change the water pump.

i've decided to get a kit rather than just the belt now and will take the pump out and inspect the condition whilst im at it.

as yet, i haven't got a price for the parts but im guessing £45 for the kit?

thanks for the comments and i welcome anymore.

(31-03-2009, 11:19 PM)lord_moran Wrote:  i know i have a bad attitude to vehicle service sometimes.
if i don't know how something is done (and can't find out), i leave it!
i hate waiting to do a job, i want it done there and then!

And you most certainly sound like a clever dick EHart6.

The labour wouldn't be an issue but i don't like the idea of fixing something that's not broke.
i'd always put a new belt on if i done a head gasket but my car's only done 38k(reached today btw) and im sure whether i need to change the water pump.

i've decided to get a kit rather than just the belt now and will take the pump out and inspect the condition whilst im at it.

as yet, i haven't got a price for the parts but im guessing £45 for the kit?

thanks for the comments and i welcome anymore.
Wave Hi i also have a lanos but the 1.6 had it for a year nearly now!! despite it had only done 29'000 miles from new when i bought it with no record of ever being changed due to the low millage!! you need to think rubber does perish over time but despite my low millage it was a case of age versus millage!! yes it was not due for another 10'000 miles if i followed millage they say every 40'000 miles or 4 years which ever comes first a kit is the best option nelse done mine did not need to replace water pump if you take the old one out remember you will need a new seal or it will leak!!! if you take it out i would just put a new one in for piece off mind as they are around £25 best to do it while your there rather than stripping it down a few months later if it went paulThumbsup

REMEMBER patience is a virtue
http://www.logixautocentre.co.uk
Like us on facebook/logix auto centre.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing belt change. Does power steering pump need removing? panther 4 1,272 27-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Last Post: panther
  Water Pump RogerandAJ 4 853 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Last Post: RICHARD
Sad Broken Timing Belt 1.5l SOHC engine dkneyle 8 2,631 16-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Sidthesloth
  Timing belt problem joewalsh 2 1,143 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Last Post: joewalsh
  Changed Timing belt Won't start now!!! pockets3748 9 5,253 15-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Tookanbetty
Toungue Water pump tool RICHARD 3 1,837 27-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Last Post: lukiep
  water pump position steve7773 3 1,969 10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: carrenhisner
  i want to remove daewoo water pump tony_harrison 4 5,522 15-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Flutter
  Replaced timing belt - wont start KeithInAZ 3 3,719 31-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Last Post: MMamdouh