• Welcome to the Chevrolet and Daewoo Forums
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
timing belt
Sad 
Hi,
daughters Matiz...cambelt has snapped. Can anyone confirm whether the 0.8 engine is non interference or not. Read somewhere on wiki answers that it is non interference but we all know what wiki answers is like. Any response/s to my question greatly appreciated, thanks.

nope frade it is a interference engine well im 90% sure it is
Daewoo Lacetti 1.8 Sport

(08-11-2009, 05:48 PM)bikerdude1984 Wrote:  nope frade it is a interference engine well im 90% sure it is

Ok thanks....guess I'll have to get the spanners out then and get me hands dirty...oh and me wallet daughter says Tearhair

Thanks again.....

(08-11-2009, 07:15 PM)j3ss1c4 Wrote:  
(08-11-2009, 05:48 PM)bikerdude1984 Wrote:  nope frade it is a interference engine well im 90% sure it is

Ok thanks....guess I'll have to get the spanners out then and get me hands dirty...oh and me wallet daughter says Tearhair

Thanks again.....

sometimes a replacement s/h cyl head (complete) from a breakers can be the cheapest option. I picked up a low mileage one for £60 for my step-daughters vectra, & it was definately cleaner than the one that came off !

(09-11-2009, 06:52 PM)kataguruma Wrote:  sometimes a replacement s/h cyl head (complete) from a breakers can be the cheapest option. I picked up a low mileage one for £60 for my step-daughters vectra, & it was definately cleaner than the one that came off !

Hi,yes this may be a possibility, am unable to do anything until the back end of the week though. Only concern other than head damage is if the pistons have suffered any damage as well....thanks again for the advice Thumbsup

the valves are softer than the pistons and take most of the blow if a 800cc then i have a fully rebuilt head and im not looking for much for it if you wanna make a offer
Undergoing Reserch for Leeds Parts Distributers!!
All Help is Much Appreciated

(11-11-2009, 10:20 AM)cragter Wrote:  the valves are softer than the pistons and take most of the blow if a 800cc then i have a fully rebuilt head and im not looking for much for it if you wanna make a offer

Yes you're right, valves only damaged....5 out of the 6 bent not bad eh?Wow2
Thanks for the offer on the head but have already removed old valves purchased replacement valves and stem seals so just got to re-assemble it all.
Just a general word of advice when buying a Matiz, unless the seller can prove the cambelt has been changed recently then for the sake of around £50 and a few hours getting dirty, I recommend changing the belt. and tensioner..saves the bigger expense if you don't!! Anyway that's my little soapbox speech overBiggrin Thanks to all for the advice given, much appreciated and keep up the good work Thumbsup

Now you can be 100% because that's exactly what it is Biggrin CheersThumbsup

I’m happy to hear you’re getting your car sorted…

Think of cambelt belt replacements as part and parcel of a car ownership. It’s an insurance policy and so is most of the other car maintains.. It’s a shame dealers charge so much for what is a simple / routine job for them. I know it’s a little tricky sometimes but they are in the know and boy do they charge for it.

So how much does it cost for a Matiz cambelt replacement? Home DIY / Dealer / Independent?

I found this on the web...

"Just done one on Saturday morning, started at 10:30 finished at 12:45.
Pretty straight forward. Abit tight on space to losen altenator drive belt adjuster (big hands).
Jack car up on driver’s side. Remove wheel. Remove plastic engine splash gaurd. You should be able to see the bottom pulley clearly now.
Open bonnet. Remove top cover from timming belt.
Down below again remove dipstick retaining bolt and pull dipstick tube out and up.(you need to do this to get at the bottom cover bolts).
Remove auxiliary drive belts.
Remove bottom pulley.
There is a slot on the bottom of the engine gear box housing to put a large flat blade screw driver in to lock the engine to enable the bottom pulley bolt to be loosened, otherwise you just spin the engine over.
Remove bottom cover when bottom pulley is off.
other than that loosen t-belt adjuster bolt spring the pulley off the belt(I put a screwdriver in the adjuster hole to keep it there) remove the old belt take note of the direction arrows on the belt, AT THIS POINT DO NOT MOVE ANY OF THE PULLEYS AT THE TOP OR THE BOTTOM!!!!
Fit new belt, ensure no slack on the front of belt from top to bottom pulley, wind the belt on to the tensioner re tension the belt and tighten the tensioner pulley bolt. Check belt tension for no slack on front top to bottom pulleys.
Replace the covers, bottom pulley, drive belts.
Remove screwdriver from slot on bottom of engine!!!!!
Put the car in gear. Turn the driver’s side wheel hub to turn the engine over, no bangs clanks then your ok.

Give it a start."

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=86076

zitaM

just remember whilst the timing belt must be tight dont over tighten it you should be able to twist the belt slightly

by over tightening the belt can lead to the tensioner failing and inturn cambelt failure

Just a thought… How often should you check / adjust the valve clearances?

zitaM

if you think there get noisey then get them checked

Do they wear / get noise quickly? What mileage should they be looked at / adjusted? Easy DIY job? Do you need to replace the cam rocker seal? Cost of seal?

It seems every time I get in my gf's Matiz I find a new noise of some sort... she doesn't seem to notice or mention them until I ask… The other week I drove her Matiz and found it pulled to the left.. I asked how long has this been happening… about a week or two came the reply. I pulled in at the next Shell petrol station and pumped up the front tyres… I found 18 psi in front left… 28 psi in the right… all sorted now at 28 psi. I’ll recheck it in a week or two..

zitaM

Update: car all done and daughter is well happyBiggrin
Managed to do it all for £98 !! that inluded antifreeze and a fivers worth of petrol! Good old dad eh Thumbsup

Cause of belt breakage?? belt tensioner not tensioned when last owner fitted belt causing loose belt to jump a couple of teeth then pistons slamming valves and belt breaking. So when buying a used motor always check the belts been done or as said earlier for the sake of around £50 change the belt anyway and save future problems from arising. Lecture over and as before all help and suggestions greatly appreciated Word-thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing Belt - Need replacing? Sarina_wall 2 438 14-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Last Post: shankosi
  Matiz 0.8L timing belt change interval gianniskriti 3 999 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Last Post: ucould2
  How to change the timing belt? tonyn 1 927 13-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Last Post: ucould2
  Timing belt change steelpicker999 1 639 17-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Last Post: tonyn
  Jumped timing belt? nicky 3 2,116 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Last Post: doit
Shy matiz/rust traps/timing belt thelaststory 4 1,583 27-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Last Post: doit
  2000 Daewoo Matiz Timing belt change/crank pulley nut torque alexmccarthy 1 3,950 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Last Post: nelse
  Matiz timing belt change interval mathes 6 11,315 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Last Post: linafelix
  new timing belt toastie15 5 3,061 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Last Post: linafelix
  Timing Belt Change lostprop 1 1,732 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Mitzy2