• Welcome to the Chevrolet and Daewoo Forums
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater Matrix Flushing
Hi guys just wondered if some one on here could explain to me how to back flush the heater matrix on my year 2000 matiz se+ with aircon or even better post some pics kind of an idiots guide? I have read the other threads on backflushing a matrix but am a bit lost I have flushed heater matrixes before on other cars and found it fairly easy but Im lost on the Matiz all i can see are aircon pipes in the way I cant even see where the pipes for the heater matrix are. I flushed the cooling system yesterday and refilled with new coolant mixed correctly and had heat from the heaters for a brief while not alot though and im sure theres no air in the system also when up to operating temprature my temprature gauge sits inbetween the quater and the halfway mark this normal on a matiz as other cars I have always sat dead on the halfway mark at normal operation temprature. The cars off to the garage tomorrow for a new cambelt and water pump so I think they will refill with coolant and bleed the system right? . I only flushed and did the coolant to see if it would help with the heaters and loads of manky orange coloured water came out dont think the coolant had been changed for some time. Also gave the car a good service oil change etc while I was at it and she runs great. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance. Smile

if you have already flushed the radiator coolant, then you already flushed the heater as the heater is part of the cooling system. heater can not be flushed on its own.

the temperature gauge you see is reading correctly. this is where the needle should be in normal cases. no worry.

now, since everything seems to be normal, why are you replacing water pump?

cheers
I Heartbeat [Image: _heart.gif]Matiz.

Driving a Matiz has benefit. it makes you wiser, so my motto in life has became "Seeking perfection is the first step to failure".

Hi Shankosi thanks for your answer my heaters still are cold most of the time must have air in the system? And Im changing the water pump as a precautionary measure might as well get it done while the cambelts changed hopefully when the garage put the new water pump on and re antifreeze it up they will shift the airlock if there is one.

(11-10-2010, 08:28 AM)shankosi Wrote:  if you have already flushed the radiator coolant, then you already flushed the heater as the heater is part of the cooling system. heater can not be flushed on its own.

the temperature gauge you see is reading correctly. this is where the needle should be in normal cases. no worry.

now, since everything seems to be normal, why are you replacing water pump?

cheers

have to disagree it wont flush the heater unless the thermostate is open which is unlikely as your coolant will have been cold when it was changed.

see link to flush matrix
http://www.daewooclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?tid=2532
BODIE

[Image: signnh.gif]

I dont like to ban people, but I willNono

Hi Bodie thankyou for your response I already looked at that thread but didnt really get it but post #7 seems promising could you or someone else explain that to me in a bit more detail please? Ive located where the thermostat is but the housing looks like a pig to remove. The garage Im taking the car to tomorrow think the thermostat might be a bit duff anyway and I tend to agree it does seem to take quite a while to go up on the temprature gauge now I think about it so there changing it when they do the other work to my car do you think this could cure my cold heater? I dont really want to have to pay them any more to flush the system as I cant really afford it right now (the bills just over £200 as it is)which is why I thought if the heater was still cold after having this work done post #7 in that other thread could be my best option to sort the problem out.
Many thanks in advance Smile

[/quote]

have to disagree it wont flush the heater unless the thermostate is open which is unlikely as your coolant will have been cold when it was changed.

see link to flush matrix
http://www.daewooclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?tid=2532
[/quote]

Got a point - thanks.

put I oppose using acids in such applications due to hazards involved, both to personal safety and to environment.

Driving a Matiz has benefit. it makes you wiser, so my motto in life has became "Seeking perfection is the first step to failure".

you might find changing the water pump will fix your problem,very common for the fins on the water pump to disintergrate hence no water being pumped around the engine correctly.
When Daewoo first produced the matiz they fitted the wrong anti-freeze, this caused lots of problems with the heater matrix and water pump.
At the time we changed loads of matrix's as the anti freeze corroided them internally.
Computer

(12-10-2010, 08:38 PM)daewootec Wrote:  you might find changing the water pump will fix your problem,very common for the fins on the water pump to disintergrate hence no water being pumped around the engine correctly.
When Daewoo first produced the matiz they fitted the wrong anti-freeze, this caused lots of problems with the heater matrix and water pump.
At the time we changed loads of matrix's as the anti freeze corroided them internally.

i just rest my case and just removed the hoses from the heater and plugged them with old spark plugs. so no coolant into the heater now.

anyway its warm most of the time hear so no need for heater. Biggrin

no more heater problems.

Its always good practice to replace the water pump when the cambelt is changed. If the water pump fails after you have changed the cambelt you then have to do all that labour again to change a part that dont cost that much. I paid £44 for cambelt kit and waterpump.

(12-10-2010, 08:38 PM)daewootec Wrote:  When Daewoo first produced the matiz they fitted the wrong anti-freeze, this caused lots of problems with the heater matrix and water pump.

Can you clarify the "wrong anti-freeze" daewootec. I have both the Daewoo and Chev Matiz. The Chev has the green anti-freeze but I have used blue in the Daewoo. I have just flushed and replaced it in the Daewoo.

Thanks,

Rob

(14-10-2010, 10:03 PM)Mitzy2 Wrote:  
(12-10-2010, 08:38 PM)daewootec Wrote:  When Daewoo first produced the matiz they fitted the wrong anti-freeze, this caused lots of problems with the heater matrix and water pump.

Can you clarify the "wrong anti-freeze" daewootec. I have both the Daewoo and Chev Matiz. The Chev has the green anti-freeze but I have used blue in the Daewoo. I have just flushed and replaced it in the Daewoo.

Thanks,

Rob

My Matiz also has blue antifreeze in it will see what the garage puts in when they finish work on my car Im just waiting for parts (bottom pulley) mines knakered so they say

The anti freeze should be blue.When the early matiz's came out they had red anti freeze in them and thats what caused the problems.
Computer

Mystery solved thanks daewootec Smile

What 'problems' did the red antifreeze cause? My SE has red antifreeze in it before i changed the head so i replaced with more red.

I have very little heat in the car and i'm going to do a backflush on the matrix this morning to see if i can clear any blockages.

THe old water pump looked to be in good condition with only very very little amount of corrosion on one fin of the pump.
Alert FOR SALE:Matiz MKII Centre console and Dash. See Classifieds for details Alert

(04-12-2010, 09:44 AM)Dj4man Wrote:  What 'problems' did the red antifreeze cause? My SE has red antifreeze in it before i changed the head so i replaced with more red.

I have very little heat in the car and i'm going to do a backflush on the matrix this morning to see if i can clear any blockages.

THe old water pump looked to be in good condition with only very very little amount of corrosion on one fin of the pump.
I would like to know that also as i need to change the antifreeze in my matiz and my leganza would be good if I could put the same colour antifreeze in both cars

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Toungue Reverse flushing heater pics & shortcuts PLEASE MOVE it to HOW TO dutchxxl 1 436 31-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Flutter
  Coolant flushing system..Problem...HELP please. danstheman24 4 829 28-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Last Post: ManQu
  heater matrix removal tonyhodge 7 4,959 19-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Jik_n_Rox
  Heater matrix leak? tommygoy 1 1,291 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Last Post: shankosi
  leaking heater matrix moose1966 0 1,018 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Last Post: moose1966
  heater matrix hose leak/replace jv796 5 3,916 18-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Last Post: zitaM